The Treasure Island & Madeira Beach Chamber of Commerce founded the EPIC Program to develop a comprehensive set of voluntary programs that engage and encourage businesses and citizens in maintaining our clean air, clean water, and clean beaches. Beginning with local bars and restaurants, the Epic Program seeks to reduce the adverse impact our economy has on the coastal environment while respecting the finances and autonomy of our local businesses.
Environmental Preservation – Our Responsibility
Animals mistake EPS based products for food or nesting materials. It is not biodegradable and is a common item found at beach clean-ups. It threatens our tourism economy, which has over $9 billion in economic impact in Pinellas County.
Plastic straws on our beaches may take up to 200 years to decompose. Alternatives such as paper straws are inexpensive and completely biodegrade in 1-2 months.
EPIC Program Basic Criteria
- Reduce use of products manufactured using expanded polystyrene foam (EPS) to zero.
- Plastic straws, stirrers, lids, bags, utensils should be made available only upon request and substituted where possible with paper or biodegradable products.
- Employ proper recycling practices
EPIC Program Membership Benefits
- Lead an environmental preservation initiative unique to your business
- Attract eco-aware customers by having your business featured on the Chamber’s online list of ocean-friendly businesses
- Express your business’s dedication to the coastal environment through complimentary storefront signage
- Market your business at organized events
- Receive staff training from EPIC to help adopt new policies and procedures
- Enjoy the expanded customer base our cleaner beaches will attract
- Take pride in securing the beauty of our communities and protecting the surrounding environment
How to Apply
- Download a copy of the program criteria (or visit the Chamber for a physical copy)
- Complete the necessary criteria and choose the options you wish to fulfill
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce to schedule your assessment
- Become recognized as an ocean-friendly business
- Schedule an environmental preservation reassessment once per year to maintain EPIC recognition
Participation is always completely free of charge for our chamber members.
Find us on Facebook (click here)